What is Proofreading?
Proofreading is the method of checking any form of literature for its grammatical and punctuation errors. The person who looks into the proofreading task is known as a proofreader.
This job provides opportunities to earn money from home by completing online proofreading and writing assignments. A proofreader gets paid for every complete proofreading project.
What is the Job of an Online Proofreader?
Proofreading offers good opportunity to anyone to make good use of his or her reading and writing skills to work from home and make money online. Spelling and grammar errors mean fewer sales for businesses and lower grades for students. A proofreader can help to check such mistakes and errors and make money. Anyone who wants to do proofreading job has to spot and correct errors in grammar.
Where and How to Find Proofreading Jobs?
There are a number of ways to get started in your proofreading career. Most people think of newspapers and magazines when they are considering proofreading jobs. However, there are a number websites online where you can look for proofreading jobs. Many advertising agencies, corporations, and publishers look for qualified proofreaders. Also, a number of students will hire proofreaders to look over their theses and dissertations to minimize mistakes and errors.
How to Become a Proofreader?
While there are no certified courses as such to qualify as a proofreader, yet there are varied online courses and tutorials that provide training for aspiring proofreaders. You must practice grammar and punctuation exercise. Learn as many spellings and gain knowledge on as many subjects as possible.
Proofreading software: There are certain proofreading software that can recognize grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors, and correct them. One needs to simply install the software and if required, set it to auto correct to correct errors automatically. The other option is to let the software mark the errors and at the end the person can manually correct the mistakes.
Requirements of a Proofreader: Proofreading requires – proper word usage, correct punctuation, accurate spelling, exact phrase intent, parallel construction.
List of Companies and Websites that Hire Proofreaders
- Proofread NOW: From time to time, they seek English, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, and Chinese proofreaders. If you have a keen eye for accurate, clearly written business communications then check out this website.
- Wordfirm: Work as an independent contractor. This website has hundreds of freelancers who work from their home office through the Internet, so location is not a factor.
- Editfast: They require skilled proofreaders, editors and freelance writers. EditFast provides a free service to freelance editors. There are promotional tools provided to help the activated editors promote their free Web pages and their skills and talents as editors.
- Cyberedit: Provides editing , writing, and marketing services. You receive your jobs via email and can work from your own computer and set your own hours. You are paid per completed editing job that you accept.
- Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group: They need freelance proofreaders and copy editors. To be considered for proofreading and copy editing work at RLPG, all freelancers must take our standard tests and have email; proofreaders must be able to print out a booklength set of page proofs on their printers.
- Wordfirm: Seeks qualified freelance writers, editors, copy editors, and proofreaders. You must be completely equipped for handling work through the internet. They are only interested in professional, highly skilled writers and editors with at least three years of practical experience.
- Mulberry Studio: Full-time and part-time transcription and proofreading positions are available either on-site, in their Harvard Square office, or on a freelance contractual basis from your home. To be considered, you need to have: A typing speed of 75 wpm, excellent grammar and language skills, Experience in transcription and word processing, a minimum of 2 years experience.
- Legitimate work At Home Jobs
- 10 Best (and Real) Work-at-Home Jobs – Legitimate, No Scam
- Freelance Writing Jobs and Career
- Verification Agent Jobs
- Virtual Assistant Jobs and Virtual Assistant Job Listings
- Online Tutor and Mentor Jobs – Online Teaching Opportunities for Teachers
- Transcription Jobs – Online Work from Home Transcription Job Listing – Medical, General, Entry Level
- Data Entry Work from Home Jobs to Make Money Online
- 101 Best Simple Ways and Tips on How Make Money Online on the Internet
- Legitimate Online Work from Home Jobs – Real, No Scam
- Get Paid to Answer Question and Earn Money – Make Money Answering Questions
- Get Paid to Post Anything – Blog, Links, Forums, Pictures, Youtube, Videos, Facebook
- How to Find Legitimate Work from Home Jobs – Top 10 Websites to Find Legit Work at Home Jobs
- How to Make Money from Website and Blog – Best Ways to Make Money Online from Home with Websites or Blogging
- How to Make Money from Best Affiliate Marketing Programs
- How to Make Money with Google Adsense