Sell Photos Online to Earn Money | Learn How
You can actually sell photos online and earn good money. Read this guide and tutorial on how to sell photos online and earn money.
Are you a photographer? Is photography your passion? Do you want to sell photos online and earn money? There are list of websites that allow you to upload your photos and earn money every time one of your photos is downloaded. Put your camera to good use and make money online today.
Before you jump into the business, make sure you follow some of the guidelines that will help you sell photos online easily and earn more money.
➡ Image Quality
Quality is vital. Noisy grainy photos from low-end digital cameras will have limited use. If you want to sell in the largest market (both online and print) then you will need good quality, well-lit, sharp, high-resolution images.
➡ Sell yourself with a portfolio
A portfolio is a collection of some of your best photographs. Many people these days have their portfolio online. You could create your own website or pay and upload images to one of several companies who specialize in hosting photographers’ portfolios.
Your portfolio should include a personal and creative statement along with detailing how your images can be bought, the equipment you use, and what you specialize in shooting.
➡ Pricing your Photos
Be realistic about the price you are aiming at. Most people these days have a digital camera. If it only took you 10 seconds to snap an image of a computer mouse and keyboard then why would someone pay a fortune for such an image instead of snapping one themselves?
How to Earn Money by selling Photographs Online?
There are several ways to make money online from your quality photographs. Some photographers make money by creating a website or blog and building up an online portfolio of photographs and selling advertising space. Some of them sell their photos for use on merchandise such as t-shirts, cups and calendars.
Few other photographers create a gallery of photographs and sell directly to clients. Some of them who become widely popular do photo shoots to make money.
Another very popular way to earn money online from original and good quality photos is by joining photography websites. Just sign-up with one of the stock photography websites mentioned below and upload your original photos and submit them for approval.
If your photographs are original and of good quality then they will get accepted. People from around the world can look at your photos and may want to buy or get a license to use it. This is how you get a share of the income that the stock photography websites makes from your photos.
How Much Money Can I Earn by Selling Photos Online?
Well, it depends on several factors. It can be few cents to several thousand Dollars. For example, you can earn few cents with every download of your photo but it can add up to few Dollars if you upload a substantial set of good quality photographs over time.
Some websites will pay more after your photos reach different levels of downloads. For example, you earn more money per download for a photograph that has been downloaded 100 times than one that has had just 10 download.
Many photographers and stock photography website sell photos of different sizes. Smaller sizes cost less than the larger sizes.
Another way to earn more money from your photographs is to become exclusive photographer and join exclusive program. Many stock photography websites pay more if you join their exclusive photographers program and submit your photographs exclusively to their website only.
When and How Will I Be Paid?
Different websites have their own payment policy. Generally most of them make payment after you reach a minimum threshold such as $50 or $100 dollars. Some of them via Paypal while others pay through bank transfer or cheque.
List of Top 10 Stock Photography Websites to Sell Photos Online
- Shutter Stock: Purchasers may download a few hundred pictures in a single month’s membership. The .25 payout adds up fast – for example, if your pictures are downloaded 1000 times over the course of a month, you will receive $250 for that month! If you make $250 per month, That’s $3000 per year off of photos.
- Big Stock Photo: Make 50 cents per download. If approved, your photos are added to BigStockPhoto.com. When users download them, you earn fifty cents each time or more. Get paid by checks or via Paypal or MoneyBookers. Upload a couple hundred popular photos and you could find you have a nice recurring monthly income on your hands.
- Micro Stock Photo: How does it work? All you have to do is signup and upload your photos. They handle the rest. How much does it cost? Signing up and uploading your photos is Free. They handle all of the sales, promotion and customer support and take 65% commission from every photo you sell. When do I get paid? Your profit from the sales of your photos is paid to you once a month.
- WebShots: Webshots is always looking for incredible photography. If you’re a professional photographer who shoots color transparencies, join this website.
- Out Traveler: Join and upload “Travel & Places” related photos.
- US Naval Institute: The general guidelines for submitting images are: 8″ x10″ color or black and white prints or 35mm slides. Images are hold for review for no longer than six weeks. Payment for any use of photography is based upon a space rate fee of $25.00 for inside editorial, $50.00 for an article opener, and $200.00 for a cover. They negotiate fees with photographers who provide a volume of images for publication in books or as magazine pictorials.
- Tide-Mark: They are interested in specific calendar concepts, for both wall calendars and desk diaries. Tide-mark’s calendars often have text as well as images. Tide-mark calendars are predominantly one-person projects; rarely do they buy single images.
- PhotoSpin: Are you a photographer, illustrator, videographer? Want to make your work and name available to tens of thousands of people? Become a PhotoSpin contributing artist.
- Photo Stock Plus: Do you want to sell your photographs? Sell your photos worldwide to a larger variety of clients. They work with hundreds of agencies that are on look out for fresh stocks of photos.
- iStockPhoto: iStockphoto is the world’s preeminent collection of member-generated royalty-free images. It’s free to become a member. Find the perfect stock image, and start downloading right away. Or contribute your own work for sale on iStock.
Have you ever sold your photos online? Do share your thoughts, ideas and experience. 🙂